Picasso had a saying, “good artists copy, great artists steal.”
Steve Jobs admitted, “we have always been shameless about stealing great ideas.”
David Bowie spoke about his originality, “I’m more like a tasteful thief.”
Paul Rand advised, “don’t try to be original, just be good.”
Nothing is Original it’s just a remix or a mash-up. Austin Kleon shares his secret about originality in his talk “Steal Like An Artist.”
Every new idea is just a remix or a mash up of one or two previous ideas.
I loved the part of Justin’s talk when he said “this is what they teach you in art school” and illustrated 1 + 1 = 3 with two lines and a family photo. Perfection!
Words of wisdom from Austin Kleon
- Steal like an artist.
- Don’t wait until you know who you are to get started.
- Write the book you want to read.
- Use your hands.
- Side projects and hobbies are important.
- The secret: do good work and share it with people.
- Geography is no longer our master.
- Be nice. (The world is a small town.)
- Be boring. (It’s the only way to get work done.)
- Creativity is subtraction.